The final episode of the tenth season of AMC’s Emmy-winning horror drama The Walking Dead, “A Certain Doom,” arrives on television on Sunday, October 4th at 9 P.M. Eastern. Showrunner Angela Kang (Terriers) reportedly referred to the finale as “The Whisperer War: The Final Showdown” on Instagram. Without further ado, here is everything we know about the state of The Walking Dead in 2020.
- The spin-off series World Beyond had its premiere delayed by six months. The Walking Dead‘s sequel series had a full premiere scheduled for April 17th, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it moved to October 4th, meaning it airs immediately after the Season 10 finale. However, AMC Premiere subscribers can watch the pilot in full on the AMC official website.
- The Season 10 finale was postponed in late March. Post-production on “A Certain Doom” was interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Episode 15, “The Tower,” was prepped for its scheduled April 5th airdate, but an AMC rep reportedly told TV Line that the planned finale would air later on in 2020.
- AMC released a trailer for the Season 10 finale that revealed a beloved character’s return. On April 5th, the official TWD YouTube channel uploaded a trailer for “A Certain Doom” that showed the return of fan-favorite character Maggie, played by Lauren Cohan (Whiskey Cavalier, The Boy). Maggie’s last appearance was in Season 9.
- The TWD team regained access to their post-production facilities in early June. Kang told ComicBook.com that the editors were “very, very close to finishing” before the state shutdown went into full effect. According to Variety, Los Angeles County released new health and safety guidelines for production companies in anticipation of negotiations with local labor union representatives.
- Chris Hardwick (@midnight, The Wall) announced the finalized October premiere date for the Season 10 finale during the two-part TWD Comic-Con @ Home panel in July.
- Attendees were also treated to a five-minute sneak peek at the finale featuring Father Gabriel Stokes, played by Seth Gilliam (The Wire, MTV’s Teen Wolf), and Beta, portrayed by Ryan Hurst (Outsiders, Remember The Titans).
- Kang revealed during the panel that six extra episodes addressing the fallout from “A Certain Doom” would be aired sometime during 2021.
- A teaser for the sixth season of the spin-off series Fear The Walking Dead was also shown. The premiere date for the allegedly moderately episodic sixth season of Fear the Walking Dead is October 11th at 9 P.M. Eastern, according to TV Insider.
- On September 9th, AMC announced that they intend to cancel The Walking Dead after the upcoming eleventh season. The series will reportedly conclude with the twenty-fourth episode of Season 11.
- The network additionally stated that they had given the green light to yet another spin-off series on top of Fear The Walking Dead and World Beyond. Cast attachments include The Walking Dead principals Norman Reedus (Death Stranding) and Melissa McBride (The Reconstruction of William Zero, The Happys).
- AMC also announced the development of a fourth spin-off series, Tales of the Walking Dead. A network press release stated that it would be an anthology series in the TWD universe that blends narratives about “new and existing characters, backstories, and stand-alone experiences,” as reported by Den of Geek.
- The streaming service IMDb TV announced plans to curate a channel devoted to content from The Walking Dead franchise. The channel, titled “The Walking Dead Universe Experience,” will reportedly combine episodes of The Walking Dead, Fear The Walking Dead, Ride with Norman Reedus, Friday Night In With The Morgans, behind-the-scenes footage, original digital series and new cast interviews.
- The official Twitch live-stream channel TWDUniverse launched in late September, as reported by IGN. The channel will host TWD Sundays, starting on October 4th. The Walking Dead‘s online fanbase will share theories and predictions from 7:30 to 9 P.M. Eastern. What follows is a live watch party with second-screen functionality. At 11 P.M. Eastern, following the after-show The Talking Dead, fans are welcome to continue all real-time discussions.
- AMC released another sneak peek for the Season 10 finale, again highlighting Father Gabriel. On September 28th, an excerpt from a scene from the finale was posted to the official TWD YouTube channel. It appears to show Father Gabriel rallying his troop of survivors ahead of the massive battle against the Whisperers, including Reedus’s character Daryl.
You can catch up with the first nine seasons of The Walking Dead via Netflix. Episodes 1 through 15 of Season 10 are free to watch with ads on the AMC website. The first five seasons of Fear the Walking Dead are available to watch on Hulu. Additionally, the show’s source material, the comic series of the same name written by Robert Kirkman (Marvel Zombies, Invincible), has been packaged in compendium form.
Image credit: Raymond Flotat