Kevin Spacey (House Of Cards) has been formally charged with four counts of alleged sexual assault and an alleged further offence by the Metropolitan Police in the United Kingdom, according to Deadline. Spacey has a court appearance set for Thursday.
The Metropolitan Police confirmed to Deadline that the actor has also been charged with allegedly “causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent.”
The charges against Spacey come after a review of evidence by the Crown Prosecution Service. Spacey will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court at 10am on Thursday.
Spacey told Good Morning America in a statement last month that he would appear voluntarily in the UK court to defend himself from the charges and that he is “confident” that he would be able to prove his innocence.
According to a statement by Rosemary Ainslie, head of the Crown Prosecution Service Special Crime Division, two of the alleged incidents took place in March 2005 in London against one man, and a third sexual assault allegedly took place in August 2008 against a second man. The agency also said the fourth sexual assault is alleged to have taken place in April 2013 in Gloucestershire against the third man and the “causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent” charge allegedly occurred in August 2008.
Spacey was the artistic director of London’s Old Vic Theatre from 2003-2015 and November 2017. According to Deadline, the company revealed it had received 20 allegations of inappropriate behavior against him.
These charges come after Spacey was ordered by a judge to stand trial last week in a civil suit filed by actor Anthony Rapp (Rent), who is accusing Spacey of alleged sexual assault, battery, and intentionally inflicting emotional distress. That alleged incident allegedly occurred in 1986, when Rapp was 14 and Spacey was 26.
Spacey’s attorneys said in a legal filing in March that Rapp’s “allegations are, quite simply, false and never occurred,” according to CNN.