Variety recently reported that Netflix has announced its hit series House of Cards will officially be moving forward with its production without Kevin Spacey. Chief content officer Ted Sarandos confirmed this week that House of Cards will resume production of its final sixth season in early 2018.
Just last week, House of Cards seemed in a rather precarious position when the show’s producers released a letter to the cast and crew saying that the series’ production hiatus would be extended. Ever since the sexual assault allegations against Kevin Spacey have come to the forefront, debate has swirled around the fate of House of Cards.
Netflix did make the move back in early November to suspend Spacey from the series and confirmed the show’s early cancellation with the upcoming season 6. With the elongated halt in production that followed shortly after, many were wondering if House of Cards would be completed at all.
But Sarandos has since eased those anxieties with Monday’s official announcement. “We’re really excited about bringing some closure to the show for fans,” Sarandos said. The chief content officer also said House of Cards’ season 6 will be made up of 8 episodes as opposed to the typical 13, which has been the length of every other season up to this point.
Robin Wright will be stepping up as the show’s lead with her character Claire Underwood. It is unclear how the show’s internal narrative will handle Spacey’s absence.