An autopsy of Cory Monteith’s body reveals the 31-year-old actor’s cause of death was an accidental overdose of alcohol and heroin.
On July 13, Monteith’s body was found in his Vancouver hotel room after hotel staff was concerned when he missed his checkout. The Glee star was staying at the Fairmount Pacific Rim Hotel. The British Columbia Coroners Service reported the autopsy as a “mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol”, according to Us Weekly.
The autopsy confirmed Vancouver police’s dismissal of foul play. “There is no evidence to suggest Mr. Monteith’s death was anything other than a most-tragic accident,” the report stated. “Mr. Monteith’s family has been made aware of the circumstances surrounding the death. On behalf of family members, the BC Coroners Service asks that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time.”
Monteith recently admitted his history with substance abuse when he voluntarily entered rehab in April. He first underwent substance abuse treatment at age 19.